Sunday, June 13

Day 1: MSP to REK




My bags are packed
I'm ready to go
I'm standing here outside your door
I hate to wake you up to say goodbye

I miss you all already. I thought it finally became real as I watched the ground fall away. We rose to meet the clouds and turned away from the setting sun and it was beautiful. But it wasn't until we were an hour away from Reykjavik and I looked up at the Lavatory Occupied sign, Salerni Upptekid and I felt my stomach drop for a moment. This is really it. I'm gone, for two months I'm gone. I suddenly feel so exhilarated, but I also feel so alone.

To late to turn back now.

I called my whole family at the airport and told them that I loved them. It's weird to think that I will be without instant contact with everyone I know.

I have already met some very kind people. All English speakers thus far, which would be as I write this on the airline from Minneapolis to Reykjavik ( I should learn to spell that) but I expect I will soon find myself in a very different world.

On the airline they offer deliciously warm blankets for free but god the seats are uncomfortable. We have already converted to the euro. If you buy anything, including dinner which is very much NOT free, they write your name down on a piece of scrap paper to avoid currency exchange debacles until later.

They do however have free movies and tv assuming you bring your own headsets and a neat little USB port next to the screen that I nave no idea what it's for but it allows me to keep my iPhone fully charged so I'm satisfied.

Having a bunch of books on my iPhone is keeping me quite amused, thank you so much Anna for the amazon gift certificate. Having eBooks is a lifesaver.




I keep wondering what I am thinking even if it is to late to turn back now. I can't wait to see Aydin and the anticipation is killing me. I can also only hope that Nikki meets me in Paris like we have planned. But these are the situations that I think make life worth living

No comments:

Post a Comment